Student who complete the Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE) in Bilingual Special Education certificate program are eligible for a New York State Bilingual Education Extension. Job opportunities are available for a full range of services to individuals with disabilities. Graduates will be eligible for placements in inclusion settings, resource rooms, self-contained classrooms, and residential services. State certification allows graduates to work with individuals with mild disabilities, from early childhood to adult, in both monolingual and bilingual (Spanish-English) settings.
204 Ketchum Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-3038
Fax: (716) 878-5410
1. Applicants must be working full time (100%) as one of the following:
Bilingual special education teacher
Bilingual teacher of students with speech and language disabilities
Applicant must obtain a nomination and commitment by the district superintendent or preschool director stating that as a result of participating in and completing the ITI program she or he will be assigned to a full-time position as a bilingual special education teacher or bilingual TSSLD from the position in which she or he is currently employed.
2. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale).
3. Certification in early childhood special education, childhood special education, adolescence special education, or speech-language pathology.
4. A master’s degree in special education
A master’s degree in speech-language pathology
Current enrollment in one of the special education graduate programs (i.e., early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) OR
Current enrollment in the speech-language pathology master’s program.
Additional Admission Requirements
1. A written statement describing the applicant’s philosophy of bilingual special education and relevant experiences in the field. This statement must adhere to standard written English.
2. Faculty review.
3. Completion of a special application (available from the department).
4. The ability to speak English and Spanish, and an oral interview.
Required Courses 18 credits
BXE 623 Policies and Practices Of Bilingual Special Education (3)
BXE 625 Curriculum I: Strategies For Culturally And Linguistically Diverse Exceptional Students (3)
BXE 626 Assessment Techniques In Bilingual Special Education (3)
BXE 627 Curriculum Ii: Applied Strategies In Bilingual Special Education (3)
BXE 628 Bilingual Special Education Field Practicum (6)