In 1871, when the Buffalo Normal School opened its doors to its first class, the school's sole purpose was to train teachers to serve Buffalo's fast-growing student population in the public schools. Now the largest comprehensive four-year college in the State University of New York system, Buffalo State educates over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. The college is known for its strong community connections and a continuing commitment to providing high-quality lifelong learning opportunities.
1871 On September 13, the first day of classes, the complement of the new normal school consists of 86 students (75 women, 11 men), Principal Henry B. Buckham, 15 faculty members, and 195 children in the School of Practice. All are housed in the three-story Victorian building at Jersey and 13th Streets (now Normal Avenue) on Buffalo's West Side.
1873 The first class graduates.
1888 To accommodate growing enrollment, a science building is constructed behind the school and connected to it by a second-floor bridge. The school is now called the State Normal and Training School.
1894 A separate residence is built for the principal, then James M. Cassety.
1895 The State Normal and Training School initiates a three-year primary and kindergarten course.