School of Arts and Humanities
From the stage to the classroom, School of Arts and Humanities programs instill a foundation of critical thinking, artistic inventiveness, and cultural awareness that lasts a lifetime. These invaluable skills serve our graduates well in career fields that are as vast and varied as our course selection.
School of Education
Buffalo State's School of Education has a distinguished history of preparing leaders and educators to excel in a wide range of classroom settings. Students learn through a strong, diverse on-campus curriculum as well as through direct student teacher experiences.
School of Natural and Social Sciences
Programs in the School of Natural and Social Sciences help students develop skills in analytical thinking, quantitative methods, problem solving, critical thinking, and effective communication. Students are taught to use the facts, concepts, and principles learned in the field and in the classroom for practical application.
School of the Professions
The School of the Professions educates future professionals to lead within diverse settings and participate in the community through partnerships. The school prepares graduates for productive and successful careers in a global society.
The Graduate School
Whether you're a professional looking to advance your career or a college graduate planning to continue your studies, you'll find a range of graduate study options here. Buffalo State offers over 60 graduate programs—36 master's programs, two certificate of advanced study programs, four graduate certificate programs, and 18 postbaccalaureate teacher certification programs.
Hands-On Learning Opportunities
Broad and distinct. That's how many people describe Buffalo State's high-quality academic programs. In addition to offering several programs that can't be found at any other SUNY school, Buffalo State's focus on hands-on learning that ensures students will turn their ideas into action.
Communication Design graduates work in design studios, advertising firms, marketing agencies, and web, news, and printing companies around the world.
The Anne Frank Project uses local, national, and international learning opportunities to exam the roots of genocide, intolerance, bigotry, and racism as a means to finding solutions and elevating the human condition.
The Career Development Center provides guidance on choosing a major to fit your career interests; helps prepare you for work through internship and volunteer opportunities; offers assistance with cover letters, resumes, and interviewing skills; and more.
The Muriel A. Howard Honors Program is open to outstanding, intellectually committed undergraduates. The program helps prepare students for academic scholarships, entry into top-notch graduate schools, and successful careers.
We'll get you ready to work! Our network of alumni and friends helps to secure prime internships. Internships are offered at the department level and through Buffalo State's Career Development Center.
A large part of the college experience happens outside of the classroom. Buffalo State's innovative program offerings and organizations will help you graduate with a broader understanding of the diverse and creative world around you. Get involved!
Buffalo State engages students in high-quality research and creative activities. The annual Student Research and Creativity Celebration brings undergraduate and graduate students in all academic disciplines together to present their preliminary and completed research and creative activities.
High-Quality and Distinctive Academic Programs
Buffalo State offers 169 undergraduate programs, 11 honors options, and 61 graduate programs. Nearly 100 percent of the college's eligible academic programs meet the rigorous professional standards of their national or international accrediting organizations.
- Adult Education Department
- Anthropology Department
- Art Conservation Department
- Art Education Department
- Biology Department
- Business Department
- Career and Technical Education
- Center for Studies in Creativity
- Chemistry Department
- Communication Department
- Computer Information Systems Department
- Criminal Justice Department
- Design Department
- Dietetics and Nutrition Department
- Earth Sciences and Science Education
- Economics and Finance Department
- Elementary Education and Reading Department
- Engineering Technology Department
- English Department
- Exceptional Education Department
- Fashion and Textile Technology
- Fine Arts Department
- Geography and Planning Department
- Health and Wellness Department
- Higher Education Administration
- History and Social Studies Education Department
- Hospitality and Tourism Department
- Interior Design Department
- Mathematics Department
- Modern and Classical Languages
- Music Department
- Philosophy and Humanities
- Physics Department
- Political Science Department
- Psychology Department
- Social and Psychological Foundations
- Social Work Department
- Sociology Department
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Theater Department
- Adult Education, GCP
- Adult Education, M.S.
- African and African American Studies (Minor)
- Aging (Minor)
- Anthropology (Minor)
- Anthropology, B.A.
- Apparel Construction and Patternmaking (Minor)
- Applied Economics, M.A.
- Art, B.A.
- Art Conservation, M.A., C.A.S.
- Art Education, B.F.A.
- Art Education (K-12), B.S.
- Art Education (K-12), M.S.Ed
- Art Education (K-12), PTC
- Art History (Minor)
- Art History, B.A.
- Art Therapy (Minor)
- Arts and Letters, B.A.
- Asian Studies (Minor)
- Astronomy (Minor)
- Biology (Minor)
- Biology, B.A.
- Biology, M.A.
- Biology Education (7-12), B.S.
- Biology Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Biology Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Business Administration, B.S.
- Business Economics (Minor)
- Business and Marketing Education, B.S.
- Business and Marketing Education, M.S.Ed
- Business and Marketing Education , PTC
- Career and Technical Education, B.S.
- Career and Technical Education, M.S.Ed
- Career and Technical Education, PTC
- Ceramics (Minor)
- Ceramics, B.F.A.
- Ceramics, B.S.
- Chemistry (Minor)
- Chemistry, B.S.
- Chemistry Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Chemistry Education (7-12), B.S.
- Chemistry Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Childhood Education (Grades 1-6), B.S.
- Childhood and Early Childhood Curriculum and Instruction, M.S.Ed
- Childhood and Early Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 6), including initial teacher certification (MIITC), M.S.Ed
- Coaching (Minor)
- Communication Design, B.F.A.
- Communication Studies, B.A.
- Computer Information Systems (Minor)
- Computer Information Systems, B.S.
- Creative Studies (Minor)
- Creative Studies, M.S.
- Creativity and Change Leadership, GCP
- Criminal Justice (Minor)
- Criminal Justice, B.S.
- Criminal Justice, M.S.
- Dance (Minor)
- Design (Minor)
- Deviance (Minor)
- Dietetics: Coordinated Program, B.S.
- Dietetics: Didactic Program, B.S.
- Digital Music Production (Minor)
- Early Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 2), B.S.
- Early Childhood and Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 6), B.S.
- Earth Science Education (7-12), B.S.
- Earth Science Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Earth Science Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Earth Sciences, B.S.
- Economic Policy Analysis (Minor)
- Economics, B.A.
- Economics, B.S.
- Educational Leadership, C.A.S.
- Educational Leadership Combined School Building Leader/School District Leader (SBL/SDL) , C.A.S.
- Educational Technology, M.S.Ed
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Electronics, B.S.
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Smart Grid, B.S.
- English (Minor)
- English, B.A.
- English, M.A.
- English Education (7-12), B.S.
- English Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- English Education (7-12), PTC
- Environment and Society (Minor)
- Environmental Science (Minor)
- Ethics (Minor)
- Exceptional Education and Childhood Education (Grades 1-6): Exceptional Education, B.S.Ed
- Exercise Science (Minor)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education, B.S.
- Fashion Design (Minor)
- Fashion and Textile Technology, B.S.
- Fibers (Minor)
- Fibers, B.F.A.
- Fibers, B.S.
- Foreign Language Education (1-6 Extension; 7-12), M.S.Ed
- Forensic Anthropology (Minor)
- Forensic Chemistry, B.S.
- Forensic Science, M.S.
- French (Minor)
- French, B.A.
- French Education (7-12), B.S.
- French Education (7-12), PTC
- GIS: Geographic Information Systems (Minor)
- Geography (Minor)
- Geography, B.A.
- Geology (Minor)
- Geology, B.A.
- German (Minor)
- Global Studies (Minor)
- Great Lakes Ecosystem Science, M.A.
- Great Lakes Ecosystem Science, M.S.
- Health and Wellness, B.S.
- Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration, M.S.
- History (Minor)
- History, B.A.
- History, M.A.
- Hospitality Administration (Minor)
- Hospitality Administration, B.S.
- Human Resource Development , GCP
- Indigenous Studies (Minor)
- Individualized Studies, B.S.
- Industrial Technology, B.S.
- Industrial Technology, M.S.
- Intelligence Analysis (Minor)
- Interior Design, B.F.A.
- International Economics (Minor)
- International Relations (Minor)
- Italian (Minor)
- Journalism, B.A.
- Leadership (Minor)
- Legal Studies (Minor)
- Literacy Specialist (Birth-Grade 12), M.S.Ed
- Mathematics (Minor)
- Mathematics, B.A.
- Mathematics Education (7-12), B.S.
- Mathematics Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Mathematics Education (7-12), PTC
- Mathematics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Mathematics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), PTC
- Mathematics, Applied, B.S.
- Mechanical Engineering Technology, B.S.
- Media Production, B.A.
- Medieval Studies (Minor)
- Metals/Jewelry (Minor)
- Metals/Jewelry, B.F.A.
- Metals/Jewelry, B.S.
- Meteorology and Climatology (Minor)
- Multidisciplinary Studies M.A., M.S.
- Museum Studies (Minor)
- Museum Studies, M.A.
- Museum Studies , GCP
- Music, B.A.
- Music Education, MAM
- Music Education (Pre-K-12), Mus.B
- Painting (Minor)
- Painting, B.F.A.
- Philosophy (Minor)
- Philosophy, B.A.
- Photography (Minor)
- Photography, B.F.A.
- Physics (Minor)
- Physics, B.A.
- Physics, B.S.
- Physics Education (7-12), B.S.
- Physics Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Physics Education (7-12) with Alternative Certification, M.S.Ed
- Physics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Physics Three-Two Engineering Option, B.S.
- Planning (Minor)
- Polish, Russian, and East European Studies (Minor)
- Political Science (Minor)
- Political Science, B.A.
- Pre-Law Advisement, NOD
- Pre-Med and Pre-Health Advisement, NOD
- Printmaking (Minor)
- Printmaking, B.F.A.
- Professional Applied and Computational Mathematics, M.S.
- Psychology (Minor)
- Psychology, B.A.
- Psychology, B.S.
- Public Administration (Minor)
- Public Administration in Public and Nonprofit Management, MPA
- Public Communication, B.A.
- Public Management , GCP
- Quality (Minor)
- Religious Studies (Minor)
- Safety Studies (Minor)
- Science Education, M.S.Ed
- Sculpture (Minor)
- Sculpture, B.F.A.
- Social Studies Education (7-12), B.S.
- Social Studies Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Social Studies Education (7-12), PTC
- Social Studies Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Social Studies Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), PTC
- Social Welfare (Minor)
- Social Work, B.S.
- Sociology (Minor)
- Sociology, B.A.
- Sociology—Applied, B.S.
- Spanish (Minor)
- Spanish Education (7-12), B.S.
- Spanish Education (7-12), PTC
- Spanish Language and Literature, B.A.
- Special Education: Childhood Program, M.S.Ed
- Special Education: Early Childhood Program, M.S.Ed
- Speech (Minor)
- Speech-Language Pathology, B.S.
- Speech-Language Pathology, M.S.Ed
- Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist and Students with Disabilities 7-12 Subject Extensions, M.S.Ed
- Study of Understanding Community, Diversity, and Peace (Minor)
- Teaching Bilingual Exceptional Individuals, Graduate Certificate Program,
- Technology Education, B.S.
- Technology Education, M.S.Ed
- Technology Education , PTC
- Television and Film Arts, B.A.
- Theater (Minor)
- Theater, B.A.
- Urban Civic Education (Minor)
- Urban and Regional Analysis and Planning, B.S.
- Women and Gender Studies (Minor)
- Wood/Furniture (Minor)
- Wood/Furniture, B.F.A.
- Wood/Furniture, B.S.
- Writing (Minor)
- Writing, B.A.
An Academic Home
University College is the academic home for Buffalo State's first-year and undeclared students. University College's offices and programs provide support for the transition to college life and assistance in determining selection of majors and careers. University College strives to serve students by challenging them to think in new ways; to make intentional and appropriate personal and academic choices; and to find meaningful connections with faculty, staff, and fellow students.
Catalogs and Course Listings
Flexible Learning Opportunities
For over 30 years, thousands of professionals have passed through our doors seeking career and personal enrichment. Continue your education with our flexible learning opportunities. Credit- and non-credit earning adult, weekend, and evening student enrollments available.
Why Study Online?
How To Register
If you are a current Buffalo State student
If you are not a current Buffalo State student
Undergraduate Students (interested in non-degree study only): apply here.
Graduate Students (Degree, Certificate, Post-baccalaureate Teacher Certification Programs and Nondegree seeking): apply here.