English Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
This graduate program is designed to provide maximum flexibility in meeting individual interests while ensuring a broad understanding of the various aspects of the teaching of English. The program develops highly qualified teachers who are prepared to exercise leadership as accomplished professional educators.
Culminating Activity (students choose one of three options): In consultation with a full-time faculty member in the English education program, students choose to (1) complete the master’s thesis, a traditional in-depth exploration, usually of a literary topic and/or theme; (2) complete a master’s project consisting of applied research in English education; or (3) take an English comprehensive examination.
326 Ketchum Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5416
Fax: (716) 878-5700
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 (4.0 scale).
2. A New York State Certificate of Qualification (CQ), provisional certificate, or initial certificate to teach English in grades 7-12.
3. 36 credit hours in English beyond freshman composition, including preparation in linguistics, young adult literature, American literature (including ethnic American literature), British literature (including Shakespeare), and World literature.
4. 27 credit hours in professional education, including secondary English methods and student teaching in middle or secondary schools.
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in the Graduate Catalog..
Advisement: Each student is assigned an academic adviser. All students must apply for candidacy after the completion of 6 credit hours and before the completion of 12 credit hours.
English Courses 9-15 credits
At least three courses must be in literature
English Education and Professional Education Courses 15-21 credits
EDF 500 Multicultural Education
ENG 691 Advanced Study in the Teaching of English
ENG 692 Teaching of Writing
ENG 693 Research in the Teaching of English
(recommended after ENG 691 or ENG 692 when possible)
Two additional English education and/or professional education courses *
* Possible English courses: ENG 691, ENG 692, ENG 694, or ENG 670. Students may take both ENG 691 and ENG 692. Students also may select graduate courses from other appropriate departments, such as exceptional education, educational foundations, and elementary education and reading, under advisement.
Master’s Project, Master’s Thesis, or Comprehensive Examination 0-6 credits
Select one option:
ENG 690 Master’s Project
ENG 695 Master’s Thesis (6)
Comprehensive Examination (0)
Total Required Credit Hours 30 credits
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise indicated.