C205 Classroom Building
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5412
Fax: (716) 878-3882
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in history and 2.75 overall.
2. 30 credit hours in history.
3. Two letters of recommendation.
4. A 500-word statement describing the applicant’s graduate education goals and preferred fields of history.
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in the Graduate Catalog.
Advisement: The student, with the approval of the department chair, selects an academic adviser who specializes in the student’s principal areas of interest.
1. At least 15 credit hours of coursework at the 600 or 700 level.
2. Master's thesis and defense: The student, in consultation with his or her academic adviser and second reader, prepares and submits a written thesis. Once approved, the student must successfully provide an oral defense. The approved thesis is submitted according to guidelines of the Graduate School.
3. An oral defense of the thesis. The student will answer questions from his or her graduate committee on all aspects of the thesis, as well as questions relating to the student’s coursework.
4. Demonstrated competence in a foreign language may be required. If applicable, competency examinations will be arranged by the thesis adviser and approved by the department chair.
Required Courses* 18 cr
Select from the following areas:
Third World history
Up to 6 credit hours may be taken in related disciplines with prior approval of the student’s adviser and the department chair.
Seminars 6 cr
6 credits at the 700 level
Master’s Thesis 6 cr
HIS 795 Master’s Thesis (6)
Total Required Credit Hours 30 cr
*Selected under advisement
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise indicated.