C205 Classroom Building
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5412
Fax: (716) 878-3882
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in history and 2.75 overall.
2. 30 credit hours in history.
3. Two letters of recommendation.
4. A 500-word statement describing the applicant’s graduate education goals and preferred fields of history.
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in the Graduate Catalog.
Advisement: The student, with the approval of the department chair, selects an academic adviser who specializes in the student’s principal areas of interest.
1. At least 15 credit hours of coursework at the 600 or 700 level.
2. Either a master’s thesis or a comprehensive exam:
a. Master's thesis and defense: The student, in consultation with his or her academic adviser and second reader, prepares and submits a written thesis. Once approved, the student must successfully provide an oral defense. The approved thesis is submitted according to guidelines of the Graduate School.
i. An oral defense of the thesis. The student will answer questions from his or her graduate committee on all aspects of the thesis, as well as questions relating to the student’s coursework.
b. Comprehensive examination: under advisement, the student will prepare three fields and will answer questions from his or her examiners.
3. Demonstrated competence in a foreign language may be required. If applicable, competency examinations will be arranged by the thesis adviser and approved by the department chair.
Required Courses* 18 cr
Selected under advisement from department course offerings in the following areas:
United States and Canada
Special Topics courses
Up to six credit hours may be taken in related disciplines with prior approval of the student’s advisor and the department chair.
Seminars 6 cr
6 credits at the 700 level
Capstone 6 cr
HIS 795 Master's Thesis (6)
One additional 600 or 700 research seminar (3 cr)
Comprehensive Exam - HIS 795 (3 cr)
Total Required Credit Hours 30 cr