SUNY Buffalo State University’s Communication Department presented its 2022 achievement awards to six alumni and inducted 38 students into its chapter of the National Communication Association Honor Society at a ceremony on February 17.
The department’s new Emerging Leader Award was presented to alumni who graduated 10 years ago or less for achievements in the communication field at the regional level.
EMERGING LEADERS AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Jessica Braunscheidel Corrigan, ’12 (B.A. in public communication), director of the Tech Academy at M&T Bank in Buffalo.
- I'Jaz Ja'ciel, ’19, ’20 (B.A. in journalism; M.S. in multidisciplinary studies, data science and analytics track), investigative reporter and head of urban affairs at Investigative Post in Buffalo.
- Zack Reese, ’16 (dual B.A. degree in public communication and communication studies with a minor in business economics), manager of applied analytics and insights at advertising firm Starcom Worldwide in Chicago.
The Communication Department also presented its Professional Achievement Award, which recognizes alumni and other local communication practitioners who have achieved a high level of professional success or made positive contributions to the Communication Department and media professions in Western New York.
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Kate Glaser, ’10 (B.A. in journalism), founder of Hope Rises, a media network that spans the globe.
- Latrese Burruss Myers, ’08 (B.A. in public communication), associate vice president of marketing and communications at Evergreen Health in Buffalo; lecturer of public relations and advertising at Buffalo State.
- Rick Pfeiffer, ’74 (B.A. in political science with a minor in economics), investigative reporter at the Niagara Gazette, and former investigative reporter and anchor at WIVB-TV in Buffalo.
In addition, the Communication Department inducted 38 students into its Rho Psi chapter of the Lambda Pi Eta National Communication Association Honor Society. To be eligible for membership, students must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 with at least 60 credit hours completed, a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the major, and at least 12 credit hours in communication courses earned at Buffalo State.
“We host the Honor Society induction each year in conjunction with the alumni awards ceremony so that our Honor Society students—future communication professionals—can meet and be inspired by our alumni and their achievements,” said Deborah Silverman, associate professor and chair of the Communication Department. “Likewise, our alumni award winners are impressed by the academic achievements of our Honor Society members.”
The ceremony was rescheduled from November 18, 2022, when a major snowstorm hit the Buffalo region.
LAMBDA PI ETA NATIONAL COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION HONOR SOCIETY 2022 INDUCTEES
Communication Studies: Michael D. Argentieri, Blasdell, NY; Marcus Allen Barney, Buffalo, NY; Aliyah Carroll, Tonawanda, NY; Olivia Cinquino, Buffalo, NY; Matthew Culp, Buffalo, NY; Haley C. Domin, Getzville, NY; Nicholas J. Germele, Buffalo, NY; Tanner J. Saunders, Big Flats, NY; and Logan Toth, Tonawanda, NY.
Journalism: Angela Caico, Kenmore, NY; Alessia L. Gervasi, Buffalo, NY; Danielle Lee-Andrea Graham, Newburgh, NY; Carly C. Lawson, Hamburg, NY; Amnah Mohsin, Depew, NY; and Justin C. Siejak, Buffalo, NY.
Media Production: Matthew J. Benedict, Brockport, NY; Emilee Christy, Ashville, NY; Elizabeth Christy, Ashville, NY; Karla Dobozin, Kenmore, NY; Elizabeth Dunning, Niagara Falls, NY; Jenna Fields, Skaneateles, NY; Jacob J. Fleming Sr., Niagara Falls, NY; Danielle Gabamonte, Amherst, NY; Jenna Harper, Tonawanda, NY; Casey Jo Harrington, Depew, NY; Holly LoBrutto, Buffalo, NY; Taliyah Oaks, Buffalo, NY; Nicolis Pacer, Elma, NY; Laila Riley, West Babylon, NY; Ethan Taylor-Sweet, Buffalo, NY; James Timothee, Amityville, NY; and K. J. Zielezinski, Depew, NY.
Public Relations and Advertising: Kelly Chase, Fort Edward, NY; Hope Lillian Clark, North Tonawanda, NY; Kemea Parsons, Buffalo, NY; Christina Shinners, Hamburg, NY; Deanna Souchet-Soto, Brooklyn, NY; and Hannah Steiner, Depew, NY.
Top photo, from left: Deborah Silverman, Communication Department chair; I'Jaz Ja'ciel, Emerging Leader Award recipient; Kate Glaser, Professional Achievement Award recipient; Jessica Braunscheidel Corrigan, Emerging Leader Award recipient; Latrese Burruss Myers, Professional Achievement Award recipient; and Rick Pfeiffer, Professional Achievement Award recipient. Missing: Zack Reese, Emerging Leader Award recipient (joined by Zoom from Chicago).
Bottom photo: Lambda Pi Eta National Communication Association Honor Society 2022 inductees.
Photos by Michael Niman, professor of communication.
Deborah Silverman, Associate Professor and Chair
Communication Department, Buffalo State University