believe. inspire. achieve.
Buffalo State has been educating in the city of Buffalo since 1871. We are an involved community of learners, scholars, leaders, and global citizens from all walks of life. We celebrate our diversity, yet work together to achieve excellence, transform ourselves, and, in turn, change the world.
Get to Know Us
Buffalo State students are diverse and driven. They choose Buffalo State for its small class sizes, engaged student life, and tight-knit community.
As award-winning experts in their fields, our faculty members inspire, teach, mentor, help, shape, guide, and transform students every day.
Katherine Conway-Turner became the ninth president of Buffalo State College in 2014.
Our alumni network is 100,000+ strong. Be Buffalo State’s next great success story!
Our 125-acre campus is very accessible, walkable, and located Buffalo's vibrant museum district.
Buffalo is the second-largest city in New York State. Explore all the "City of Good Neighbors" has to offer.
Students Enrolled (Fall 2020)
Buffalo State College Is Founded
Alumni around the World
Mission, Vision, Values
Buffalo State is a diverse and inclusive college committed to the intellectual, personal, and professional growth of its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Our mission is to empower students to succeed and to inspire a lifelong passion for learning. Buffalo State is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, service, scholarship, creative activity, and cultural enrichment.
Buffalo State College will be a nationally recognized leader in public higher education known for
- its caring and rigorous academic environment where lives are transformed through education;
- the intellectual and creative accomplishments of its faculty, staff, students, and alumni;
- its cross-culturally competent community dedicated to developing leaders for an increasingly global society.
We, the Buffalo State community, are committed to:
- actively facilitating access to public higher education;
- excellent learning experiences in and out of the classroom;
- being student centered;
- the rigors, joys, and fulfillment of intellectual discovery;
- engagement, applied learning, and partnerships with the community;
- social responsibility;
- respect for diversity and individual differences;
- supportive and collegial relationships;
- opportunities for individuals to realize their full potential.
Buffalo State Is Recognized for Social Mobility Commitment
Buffalo State College has consistently been recognized for its commitment to helping economically disadvantaged students become more upwardly mobile. Buffalo State ranked 35th out of 1,449 benchmarked colleges and universities in CollegeNET’s Social Mobility Index (SMI) 2020 assessment.