About the Program
Professional Applied and Computational Mathematics (PACM) is an innovative Professional Science Master’s (PSM) degree program. This program, a collaboration between Buffalo State and a group of partners from Buffalo and the Western New York area, brings together a diverse interdisciplinary group of active faculty from academia and adjunct faculty and advisory board members from business, industry, non-profit organizations, and government agencies. The goal of the program is to train graduate students for careers in many emerging fields that now demand a new type of workforce with solid and in-depth background in applied and computational mathematics, as well as with effective business and communication skills.
The PACM program consists of 27 credits of academic training in data analysis, mathematical modeling, business communication and management, as well as 3 credits of research internship. The core courses are broken up into 1-credit modules that will be updated as needed to keep the program current. Also this format allows for more flexible scheduling, including night or weekend classes, and summer or J-Term sessions.
The development of the program was funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
The program is recognized as a Professional Science Master’s degree by the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS).
About the Mathematics Department
159 Science and Math Complex
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5621
Fax: (716) 878-6107
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in the last 60 credit hours.
- If minimum requirements are not met, the graduate faculty may grant an applicant conditional admission to the program as a premajor if the applicant has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (4.0 scale) in the last 60 credit hours. If accepted to the premajor, the applicant must obtain a 3.0 or higher in the first semester and then reapply to the major (no additional application fees are required).
- The following mathematics courses completed: Single and Multivariable Calculus; Differential Equations; Linear Algebra; Discrete Mathematics; Calculus-based Probability; Calculus-based Statistics.
- Students must demonstrate knowledge of a standard programming language such as C++, Java, Fortran, Maple, or Mathematica.
- An interview with PACM faculty. In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to Graduate School section.
Required Analytical Mathematical Modeling (9 credit hours)
ACM 610 CONTINUOUS FOUNDATIONS OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS FROM A PROBLEM SOLVING PERSPECTIVE (1)
ACM 611 DISCRETE FOUNDATIONS OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS FROM A PROBLEM SOLVING PERSPECTIVE (1)
ACM 612 COMPUTATIONAL FOUNDATIONS OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS FROM A PROBLEM SOLVING PERSPECTIVE (1)
ACM 620 OPTIMIZATION OF DISCRETE MODELS (1)
ACM 621 EMPIRICAL MODEL BUILDING (1)
ACM 622 MODELING CHANGE WITH DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS (1)
ACM 630 NUMERICAL LINEAR ALGEBRA (1)
ACM 631 EIGENVALUE PROBLEMS (1)
ACM 632 NUMERICAL CALCULUS (1)
Required Statistical Data Analysis (9-11 credit hours)
ACM 640 LINEAR REGRESSION AND CORRELATION (1)
ACM 641 DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF EXPERIMENTS (1)
ACM 642 NONPARAMETRIC STATISTICS (1)
ACM 650 RANDOM WALKS AND BROWNIAN MOTION (1)
ACM 651 MARKOV CHAINS (1)
ACM 652 CONTINUOUS-TIME STOCHASTIC PROCESSES (1)
ACM 653 MARKOV CHAIN MODELS IN CREDIT RISK MANAGEMENT (1)
ACM 660 LOGISTIC REGRESSION (1)
ACM 661 SURVIVAL ANALYSIS (1)
ACM 662 TIME SERIES ANALYSIS AND FORECASTING (1)
Required Business Intelligence and Data Analytics Fundamentals (9 credit hours)
Select one from each area: 9
PSM 602 COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES FOR MATH AND SCIENCE PROFESSIONALS
PSM 601 PROJECT MANAGEMENT FOR MATH AND SCIENCE PROFESSIONALS
CIS 512 INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE AND ANALYTICS
DSA 501 DATA ORIENTED COMPUTING AND ANALYTICS
DSA 650 DATA STRATEGY AND GOVERNANCE
GEG 584 GEOSPATIAL PROGRAMMING
INT 602 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (ADVANCED SYSTEMS ANALYSIS)
SPF 688 LEADERSHIP IN ORGANIZATIONS
SPF 715 MANAGEMENT PRACTICES AND TECHNIQUES
Internship (3 credit hours)
ACM 690 INTERNSHIP IN APPLIED AND COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS
Total requirements 30 cr