National Spanish Honor Society: Eligible students are inducted into local chapters of Sigma Delta Pi.
Teaching English: Students may find opportunities teaching English at community organizations:
Study Abroad: The Modern and Classical Languages department sponsors a five-week summer study experience in Salamanca, Spain.
Our Ambassador Model
We commit to preparing students for ambassadorial stewardship in an age of increasing economic and cultural globalization. The empathy and appreciation we show one another, in light of our plurality of identities and perspectives, serves as a model that we endeavor to instill in our students.
Students who plan to teach a foreign language are encouraged to take a second language. Flexibility enhances your chances of success in your post-college career. Our minor programs include: French, German, Italian, and Spanish and two years of coursework in Chinese and Classics, and one year in Arabic.
Our major programs offer you small classes which promote student participation and proficiency in the foreign languages and afford you, the student, the opportunity to get to know your professors well.
The Dr. Charles A. Messner Scholarship Fund is a $5,000 annual scholarship available to humanties students.
- The Dean’s Award for Excellence in Foreign Language
- The Ernest S. Falbo Modern Foreign Language Award: Outstanding students in modern languages
- The Charles A. Messner Classic Prize: Students in the classics (Greek, Latin, or classical studies)
- The Javier Ortiz-Calderón and Maribel Garrett Award: Senior Spanish majors
- The Dr. Eliane McKee French Education Scholarship: Professional French, Francophone Studies, or French Education majors