About Adult Education
The adult education program at Buffalo State prepares professionals for careers in adult education and human resource development.
We prepare adult educators to teach their specialty:
- In community colleges
- To work in community engagement projects
- To conduct literacy, personal development, and workforce-preparation programs
- To prepare adult educators for work in grassroots movements and social justice efforts
- For careers in organizational training and development/human resource development
Students enrolled in our program enjoy the flexibility of online classes—accommodating full- and part-time students located anywhere in the world—and work closely with faculty advisers to select specialized courses to meet their career goals.
Coursework is based in practice, founded upon ideals of social justice, grounded in current research and theory, and employed across multiple disciplines. Graduates complement their areas of expertise with core knowledge of adult education, while human resource development graduates earn skills to support a more competitive workforce.
The need for formally trained adult educators has expanded greatly in recent years. Career options are broad:
- Community colleges employ educators to prepare students for hospitality, medical, and culinary careers
- Community agencies hire teachers to conduct literacy, personnel development
- Workforce preparation programs
- Communities utilize adult educators to education for and about social justice
- Businesses employ human resource development professionals to train new and experienced workers
Our graduates teach in various arenas, including:
- Community groups
- Social service agencies
- Sales and marketing firms
- Professional associations
- Continuing education
- Law enforcement
- Grassroots community organizations
- Community colleges
Our students engage in a variety of internships:
- Writing and/or conducting a training program
- Counseling adult learners
- Conducting a conference
- Teaching a community college course
- Administering a community education program
- Evaluating an adult learning program
We're in the Top 10
The Adult Education Department has been listed by Campus Explorer as one of the Top 10 Graduate Schools for Adult and Continuing Education and Teaching.
Meet your career goals on your time with our online courses.
Our students receive intensive one-on-one mentoring from professors with rich academic and work experience.